Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Dean to AMSOL community: Incoming class assured of graduating in Michigan

Good news, but this administration should never have put prospective students in a situation where they had to apply and put down a deposit for a school that couldn't guarantee that it could graduate them at its present location.


This week I received an update on the construction schedule for the Ave Maria campus in Collier County, Florida. This update arrives some weeks earlier than expected. While AMU still plans to open at the new campus in August 2007, in light of the newly revised construction schedule, it now is apparent that a potential move to Florida by the law school cannot feasibly occur anytime before the fall of 2009 at the earliest. This news allows me to give full assurance to our incoming students that they will be able to graduate from the School of Law in Ann Arbor come May 2009.

As previously communicated, the question relating to the timing of a potential move to Florida is distinct from the question of whether a move to Florida is in the best long-term interests of the law school. This second question will be thoughtfully and carefully examined by the Board of Governors at future meetings based on the feasibility study currently being conducted by our two consultants, Deans White and Read. The consultants will complete and submit the feasibility study as originally planned.

I realize that the issue of a potential move to Florida has prompted great emotion and concern from many members in our community, oftentimes straining relationships that have been built up over these last six years. Your continued prayers for wisdom when the Board considers a potential move would be appreciated.

Sincerely yours,

Bernard Dobranski
President and Dean


At 8:35 PM, Blogger mSCIENCE said...

This *is* good news.

However, it is also very telling about who or what is driving AMSL's "potential move" - AMU's construction schedule.

C'mon. If the Law School can't even tell students where they'll graduate from without knowing AMU's construction timetable, it is utterly laughable to end with requests for "prayers for wisdom when the Board considers a potential move." The so-called "Feasibility Study" and any notion of autonomy between AMSL and AMU after a move should be flatly rejected right now as a transparently dishonest fait accompli.

At 12:24 AM, Blogger L. von Shtupp said...

"I won't come over tonight until after 8pm because that you said that won't work for your schedule; but I still have not decided whether to come over". It's nonsense.

He says that the issue of "timing" a move and "whether" to move are distinct. Shouldn't deciding "whether" to move come BEFORE an announcement about "timing"?

It is so transparently obvious that they're operating off of one decision (to move) and outright lying about the solidity of that decision to their constituents.

It is all about offering-up AMSL to bolster AMU.

At 12:03 AM, Blogger Anakin Aquinas said...

well, AMC was supposedly staying open till 2007. They promised!

At 10:06 AM, Blogger kuza1 said...

Maybe the law students Class of 2009 will get lucky(?)and have a major hurricane hit the area which will delay the move for a year.

At 12:24 AM, Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

I have been offered a seat in the class of 2009. Knowing I would be able to graduate without transferring or relocating relieves some anxiety. But it still gives no assurances about whether the degree I will receive by then will be worth the paper it's printed on when I try to shop it around to potential employers. ("Hmm, are they a fully accredited school?" "Well, uh, they USED to be...")

I have 6 days to put down my seat deposit. I still haven't decided yet if I will.

At 9:57 AM, Blogger res_ipsa_loquitur said...

Man, I don't know what to tell you. I'm one of the original graduates and loved my time there, but I have no way of assuring you that the school you'll attend will resemble the one I did by the time you get out. I wish you the best either way.

At 8:30 PM, Blogger mSCIENCE said...

It would be interesting to know what the "newly revised construction schedule" is, and specifically what brought it about.

Today (Sunday May 14), Naples News had a glowing article about the construction progress. Excerpt (emphasis added):

While many have been complaining about the lack of rain, Schrotemboer said the dry weather has helped keep the construction schedule on track.

“Construction does slow down during the rainy season, but it is planned for,” Schrotemboer said. “We’re taking advantage of the great weather, and we’re trying to build in extra (time) when we can to make up for the rain.”

Construction of the other university and town structures are on schedule as well, Schrotemboer said.

Hmmmm. So what was 'revised', and why... and how did it impact the Law School's decision to delay moving?

If AMSL is so clearly impacted by the construction schedule of Monaghan's university and town, don't you think that explanations and details are in order for the AMSL community?

Oh, I forgot. AMSL is completely autonomous from the university and town... and no decisions have been made about moving to Monaghan's Florida development.

At 11:41 PM, Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

"Man, I don't know what to tell you. I'm one of the original graduates and loved my time there, but I have no way of assuring you that the school you'll attend will resemble the one I did by the time you get out. I wish you the best either way."

Well, it looks like I'm going to have to lay down that deposit unless I hear back within two days from one of the two schools still considering me. Make no mistake though -- if either of those two schools accepts me later, I will walk away from that deposit and from AMSOL. (Perhaps just as well for AMSOL, seeing how I'm one of the "bottom-feeder" admitted applicants whose GPA and LSAT scores would not exactly contribute to the efforts to bring AMSOL's median up to top-tier levels.) If I am not accepted to any other school for the fall term, there is an excellent chance I will attend AMSOL for one year only and then transfer the hell out. I'll probably do this even if the board miraculously and unexpectedly votes to stay in Ann Arbor, as it appears the damage already done to the institution is deep and likely long-term. I doubt anything short of a cleansing of the BoG would cause me to complete my studies at AMSOL.

At 10:07 AM, Blogger informationoverload said...

"Hate, hate, hate.
Hate, hate, hate.
Double hate.
Loathe entirely!"

da grinch

At 4:03 PM, Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

Just the sort of coherent, well-crafted and persuasive rebuttal I've come to expect from IO after reading through the comments section around here.

I can't help but notice that nobody from either side of the debate has made a serious effort to persuade me to attend school at AMSOL-- not even one of the deans with which I have been having a frustrating e-mail dialog replete with vague, evasive responses to my questions.

So dreadfully sorry if my contingency plans and the rationale behind them don't meet with your approval, IO. But as I noted earlier, AMSOL's aim to attain prestige and improve its US News rank certainly won't be any worse off for my not being there.

At 10:24 AM, Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

I got into another school, so I'm going to have to wave goodbye to AMSOL. I will continue to watch the developments and pray that AMSOL comes out the other side intact and still able to pursue its mission to become a top law school.


Post a Comment

<< Home